Monday, May 2, 2011

A Message from Gold Star Mother Natalie Healy

This morning I received an e-mail from Natalie Healy, mother of Navy SEAL Senior Chief Dan Healy who was killed on June 28, 2005 in Operation Red Wings regarding the death of Osama bin Laden:

   It seemed like a normal Sunday night- I was just waiting to see who would be fired on Celebrity Apprentice when they broke into the show announcing the President would be speaking shortly. Many scenarios rushed through my mind but nothing of this magnitude. It was the LAST thing I expected because, frankly, Osama seemed to be on the back burner in this War on Terror. I imagined him in a cave in Pakistan or perhaps even dead. Halleluyah!!! Justice is served.
   I was up until after one a.m. just trying to absorb this surprising, unexpected news when WMUR TV called for an interview but there was still much that I hadn't heard at that point. My emotions were racing , I called Danny's sister, Jen in California and she had just gotten the word from another SEAL. His other sister, Shannon, is on vacation at Myrtle Beach so I''l talk to her later today. It was a short night- my phone started ringing at 6:48 this morning.
   During this time my emotions ran the gamut between being stunned, amazed and strangely sad. When the news first broke I knew it had to be Special Forces and/or Navy SEALs but it wasn't until my friend, Marguerite, called me this morning in tears and said, "It was the Navy SEALs who got him" that I burst into tears.
   As most of you know I normally don't do that but the overwhelming pride, gratitude and relief I felt caused that instant reaction. Its seems like I've been holding my breath since the day Danny died. I didn't know it until today when Dan's teammate took out this evil man whose demented philosophy set into action events that ultimately resulted in my son's death.
   As Deb Lee, another SEAL mom said she has no doubt that they had help from their fellow warriors in heaven- like our Danny and her son, Marc and Donna and Steve Hardy's son, Nate. I am so proud of them all and wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that they had something on them reminding them of their slain SEAL brothers and if not their on their bodies definately in their hearts.
   Once, frustrated with the power to change our lives that Osama bin Laden had , I asked Danny while he was in Afghanistan, "Will you just get him, please?" He said they were trying. Then June 28 happened. Five years later his teammates completed the mission. It was full circle from Sept. 11 to now and the sense of justice being served is enormous. I am grateful that our mens' courage and strength prevailed.


God Bless You All, God Bless America.

Nat

Natalie, you speak for all of us. We are so proud of all those who gave all they had so others might live.  I am looking forward to seeing you at the christening of the USS Michael Murphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment